BrommiePlus Derailleur 3 Speed 11T Kit - For Hubsmith rear hubs
Introduction Video (YouTube
Plug & Play Kit
– Unlike other kits, or peicemeal purchases, this kit is complete and does not require extensive tuning. All componets are designed to work together and are easy to install. The components are made from quality materials, and are also available separately as spare/replacement. Available in 11-14-17T or 11-14-18T.
Utilizing the stock (post-2017) derailleur shifter
– with our proprietary internal modification parts, the stock 2 speed derailleur shifter is converted into 3 speed. The shifter is indexed, and capable of downshifting and upshifting one gear per stroke, It can also downshift two gears per stroke when pushing the lever all the way, which is useful when coming to a stop at the light. There is no need to buy alternative shifters that are often inferior to the purposely designed shifter, in terms of correct cable pulls, shifting performance, mounting positions, cable angle, and the overall ergonomics.
- Free hub body, including bearing, pawls, and pawl spring
- Sprocket set, 11-14-17T, or 11-14-18T
- Chain with quick links
- Shifter modification parts
- Shifter logo button
- Gear cable
- Hub end caps
- Cassette lock ring
- Sprocket spacers
- Axle spacers (for fine adjustment, not always needed)
- Installation instruction & tuning guides
11-14-17T or 11-14-18T. While almost all Brompton bikes can fit 17T, only some can fit 18T for the largest cog. To be safe, please choose 17T version. Both 17T and 18T sprockets can be purchased separately.
Sprocket sets are available in Silver or Black. The black chrome/coating will eventually wear out to expose the metal beneath.
12 speed chain are available in Silver, Gold, or Black
Here are a few notes regarding this kit:
- The free hub body and end caps that come with this kit will change the center line of the rear wheel slightly. While the change is minimal, i.e., 1-2mm, it is still recommended that the wheel to be re-dished.
- Due to the smaller diameter of the 11T cog, the chain may interfer with the protrusion at the back of tensioner back plate. The inteference, slightly different from bike to bike, may be small enough to go un-noticed. However, for peace of mind, we suggest that the protrusion be removed. This can be done quite easy with a hack saw, or a file with some persistence. We can also supply new Brompton derailleur tensioner already modified. Please see separate page here.
- Some aftermarket brake lever that claims to be compatible with post 2017 integrated shifter, do not have precise mounting holes. Mounting the factory shifter on these levers will cause a minor distortion to the shifter, jeopardizing the smoothness of shifter operation.
- For pre-2017 bikes, we recommend upgrading to Brompton stock post-2017 spring set, or the connection kit we offer, here, instead of using barrel nut at the end of the actuator spring. When such barrel nut is used, the cable buffering function of Brompton original design is lost, and there is a risk that the gear cable can break loose when attempting to shift while the bike is stationary.